Bold indicates authorship by SCI-CLAWPS group leader (Singer). Advisee student and postdoc work denoted by *.
In Preparation (for upcoming submission)
58) *Rohde, M., Stella, J., Singer, M.B., Roberts, D., Malmsheimer, R.W., Shannon, S. (In Preparation); Water stress in groundwater dependent ecosystems: Detection and protection
57) Washburn, S.J., Singer, M.B., Harrison, L., Hass, L., Clarke, J., Tsui, M.T.K., Blum, J.D., *Myktyn, T., Ulus, Y. (In Preparation); Spatial variation in inundation frequency and duration and Hg dynamics in Yolo Bypass, CA
56) Singer, M.B., *Asfaw, D., Jones, O., Michaelides, K. (In Preparation); STORM 2.0: A decision-support tool for exploring the impacts of climate and climate change at or near the land surface
55) *Quichimbo, E.A., Singer, M.B., Michaelides, K., Hobley, D., Rosolem, R., Cuthbert, M.O. (In Review); DRYP 1.0: A parsimonious hydrological model of DRYland Partitioning of the water balance
54) *Kibler, C., Schmidt, C., Roberts, D.A., Stella, J.C., Lambert, A., Kui, L., Singer, M.B., (In Review); A brown wave of riparian woodland mortality following groundwater declines during the 2012-2019 California drought
53) *Sargeant, C.I., Singer, M.B. (In Review); Local and non-local controls on seasonal variations in water availability and use by riparian trees along a hydroclimatic gradient
52) Singer, M.B., Grieve, S.W.D., *Chen, S-A, Michaelides, K. (In Revision); Climate controls the length and shape of the world’s drainage basins
51) *Chen, S-A., Michaelides, K., Singer, M.B., Richards, D.A. (In Review); Global analysis of short-term versus long-term drainage basin erosion rates
50) *Kipkemoi, I., Michaelides, K., Rosolem, R., Singer, M.B. (In Review); Climatic expression of rainfall on soil moisture dynamics in drylands
49) Singer, M.B., *Asfaw, D., Rosolem, R., Cuthbert, M.O., *Quichimbo, A., Miralles, D.G., MacLeod, D., Michaelides, K. (In Review); Hourly potential evapotranspiration at 0.1˚ grid resolution for the global land surface from 1981-present, Scientific Data
48) *Adloff, M., Singer, M.B., MacLeod, D.A., Michaelides, K., *Mehrnegar, N., Hansford, E., Funk, C., Mitchell, D. (In Review); Sustained water storage in East African drylands dominated by seasonal rainfall extremes
47) *Warter, M., Singer, M.B., Roberts, D.A., Cuthbert, M.O., *Sabathier, R., Stella, J.C., Caylor, K. (In Press); Onset and propagation of drought into soil moisture and vegetation responses during the 2012-2019 drought in Southern California, Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS), doi: . pdf
46) *Sabathier, R., Singer, M.B., Roberts, D.A., Caylor, K., Stella, J.C. (2021); Vegetation responses to climatic and geologic controls on water availability in southeastern Arizona, USA, Environmental Research Letters, doi:10.1088/1748-9326/abfe8c. pdf
45) *Rohde, M., Stella, J., Roberts, D., Singer, M.B., (In Press); Groundwater dependence of riparian woodlands and the disrupting effect of anthropogenically altered streamflow, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS)
44) *Mehrnegar, N., Jones, O., Singer, M.B., Schumacher, M., Jagdhuberd, T., Scanlon, B.R., Forootan, E. (2021); Exploring groundwater and soil water storage changes across the CONUS at 12.5-km resolution by a Bayesian integration of GRACE data into W3RA, Science of the Total Environment, doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.143579. pdf
43) *Mayes, M., Caylor, K., Singer, M.B., Stella, J., Roberts, D., Nagler, P. (2020); Climate sensitivity of water use by riparian woodlands at landscape scales, Hydrological Processses, doi:10.1002/hyp.13942. pdf
42) *Quichimbo, A., Singer, M.B., Cuthbert, M.O. (2020); Characterizing groundwater-surface water interactions in idealized ephemeral stream systems, Hydrological Processses, 34: 3792-3806, doi: 10.1002/hyp.13847. pdf
41) *Mehrnegar, N., Jones, O., Singer, M.B., Schumacher, M., Bates, P., Forootan, E. (2020); Comparing global hydrological models and merging them with GRACE data by Dynamic Model Data Averaging (DMDA), Advances in Water Resources, 138, 103528, doi: 10.1016/j.advwatres.2020.103528. pdf
40) *Sargeant, C.I., Singer, M.B., Vallet-Coulomb, C. (2019); Identification of Source-water Oxygen isotopes in trees Toolkit (ISO-Tool) for deciphering historical water use by forest trees, Water Resources Research, 55(12):10954-10975, doi: 10.1029/2018WR024519. pdf
The following paper has received media attention.
38) Washburn, S.J., Blum, J.D., Donovan, P.M., Singer, M.B. (2019); Isotopic evidence of methyl- and inorganic mercury photoreduction and retention on particles in surface waters of Central California, USA, Science of the Total Environment, 674:451-461, doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.04.145. pdf
37) *Nakamura T., Singer M.B., Gabet E. (2018); Remains of the 19th Century: Deep storage of contaminated hydraulic mining sediment along the Lower Yuba River, California, Elementa: Science of the Anthropocene, 6(1):70, doi: 10.1525/elementa.333. pdf
36) Singer, M.B., Michaelides, K., Hobley, D.E.J. (2018); STORM 1.0: A simple, flexible, and parsimonious stochastic rainfall generator for simulating climate and climate change, Geoscientific Model Development, 11:3713-3726, doi: 10.5194/gmd-11-3713-2018. pdf
The following paper was selected as an AGU Editor’s Highlight.
35) Phillips, C.B., Hill, K.M., Paola, C., Singer, M.B., Jerolmack, D.J. (2018); Effect of flood hydrograph duration, magnitude, and shape on bed-load transport dynamics, Geophysical Research Letters, 45(16):8264-8271, doi: 10.1029/2018GL078976. pdf
34) Michaelides, K., *Hollings, R., Singer, M.B., Nichols, M., Nearing, M. (2018); Spatial and temporal analysis of hillslope-channel coupling and implications for the longitudinal profile in a dryland basin, Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 43:1608–1621, doi: 10.1002/esp.4340. pdf
32) Singer, M.B., Michaelides, K. (2017); Deciphering the expression of climate change within the Lower Colorado River basin by stochastic simulation of convective rainfall, Environmental Research Letters, 12:104011, doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/aa8e50. pdf
31) Jaeger, K., Sutfin, N.A., Tooth, S., Michaelides, K., Singer, M.B. (2017); Geomorphology and sediment regimes of intermittent rivers and ephemeral streams; in Datry, T., Bonada, N., Boulton, A. (eds.), Intermittent Rivers and Ephemeral Streams, pp.21-49, Academic Press, Burlington, doi: 10.1016/B978-0-12-803835-2.00002-4. pdf
30) Donovan, P.M., Blum, J.D., Singer, M.B., Marvin-DiPasquale, M., Tsui, M.T.K. (2016); Methylmercury degradation and exposure pathways in streams and wetlands impacted by historical mining, Science of the Total Environment, 568:1192-1203, doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.04.139. pdf
29) Singer, M.B., Harrison, L.R., Donovan, P.M., Blum, J.D., Marvin-DiPasquale, M. (2016); Hydrologic indicators of hot spots and hot moments of mercury methylation potential along river corridors, Science of the Total Environment, 568:697-711, doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2016.03.005. pdf
28) Donovan, P.M., Blum, J.D., Singer, M.B., Marvin-DiPasquale, M., Tsui, M.T.K. (2016); Isotopic composition of inorganic and methylmercury downstream of historical gold mining, Environmental Science and Technology, 50(4):1691–1702, doi: 10.1021/acs.est.5b04413. pdf
The following paper received the Ignacio Rodriguez-Iturbe Publication Award commending the Best Publication in Ecohydrology for 2016.
25) Singer, M.B.; Impact scales of fluvial response to management along the Sacramento River, California, USA: Transience versus persistence (2015), in Hudson, P.F. & H. Middlekoop (eds.), Geomorphic Approaches to Integrated Floodplain Management of Lowland Fluvial Systems in North America and Europe, pp.53-85, Springer New York, doi: 10.1007/978-1-4939-2380-9_4. pdf
The following paper has received media attention. It was also selected as an AGUniverse Publication Highlight (9 April, Volume 6, Issue 7, 2015).
The following paper has received media attention.
23) Singer, M.B., Michaelides, K. (2014); How is topographic simplicity maintained in ephemeral, dryland channels?, Geology, 42(12):1091-1094, doi: 10.1130/G36267.1. pdf
This paper has received media attention.
22) Singer, M.B., *Sargeant, C., Piégay, H., Riquier, J., Wilson, R.J.S., *Evans, C.M. (2014); Floodplain ecohydrology: Climatic, anthropogenic, and local physical controls on partitioning of water sources to riparian trees, Water Resources Research, 50(5):4490-4513, doi: 10.1002/2014WR015581. pdf
The following paper was selected as an EOS Research Spotlight.
21) Michaelides, K., Singer, M.B.; Impact of coarse sediment supply from hillslopes to the channel in runoff-dominated, dryland fluvial systems (2014), Journal of Geophysical Research-Earth Surface, 119(6):1205-1221, doi: 10.1002/2013JF002959. pdf
The following paper received media attention.
20) Singer, M.B., Aalto, R., James, L.A., *Kilham, N.E., *Higson, J.L., Ghoshal, S. (2013); Enduring legacy of toxic fans via episodic redistribution of California gold mining debris. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), 110(46):18436-18441, doi: 10.1073/pnas.1302295110. pdf
This paper won a prize for the best student-led peer-reviewed journal article for 2013 within the Landscape Dynamics Theme of the Scottish Alliance for Geosciences, Society, and the Environment.
18) Donovan, P.M, Blum, J.D., Yee, D., Gehrke, G.E., Singer, M.B. (2013); An isotopic record of mercury in San Francisco Bay sediment. Chemical Geology, 349–350:87-98, doi: 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2013.04.017. pdf
17) Singer, M.B., Stella, J.C., Dufour, S., Piegay, H., Wilson, R.J.S., *Johnstone, L. (2013); Contrasting water-uptake and growth responses to drought in co-occurring riparian tree species. Ecohydrology, 6(3):402-412, doi: 10.1002/eco.1283. pdf
16) *Kilham, N.E., Roberts, D., Singer, M.B. (2012); Remote sensing of suspended sediment concentration during turbid flood conditions on the Feather River, California—a modeling approach. Water Resources Research, 48(1):W01521, doi: 10.1029/2011WR010391. pdf
15) *Springborn, M., Singer, M.B., Dunne, T. (2011); Sediment-adsorbed total mercury flux through Yolo Bypass, the primary floodway and wetland in the Sacramento Valley, California. Science of the Total Environment, 412-413:203-213, doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2011.10.004. pdf
13) *Ghoshal, S., James, L.A., Singer, M.B., Aalto, R. (2010); Channel and floodplain change analysis over a 100-year period: Lower Yuba River, California. Remote Sensing, 2(7):1797-1825, doi: 10.3390/rs2071797. pdf
12) Dunne, T., Constantine, J.A., Singer, M.B. (2010); The role of sediment transport and sediment supply in the evolution of river channel and floodplain complexity. Transactions, Japanese Geomorphological Union, 31(2):155-170, doi: https://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/110007621738. pdf
11) James, L.A., Singer, M.B. (2009), *Ghoshal, S., Megison, M.; Historical channel changes in the lower Yuba and Feather Rivers, California: Long-term effects of contrasting river-management strategies. Geological Society of America Special Paper, 451:57-81, doi: 10.1130/2008.2451(04). pdf
9) Singer, M.B. (2008); Downstream patterns of bed-material grain size in a large, lowland alluvial river subject to low sediment supply. Water Resources Research (Rapid Communication), 44(12):W12202, doi: 10.1029/2008WR007183. pdf
The following paper has a video file as supporting material. You can download the video (23 MB).
8) Singer, M.B. (2008); A new sampler for extracting bed material sediment from sand and gravel beds in navigable rivers. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 33(14):2277-2284, doi: 10.1002/esp.1661. pdf
7) Singer, M.B., R. Aalto, James, L.A. (2008); Status of the lower Sacramento Valley flood-control system within the context of its natural geomorphic setting. Natural Hazards Review, 9(3):104-115, doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)1527-6988(2008)9:3(104). pdf
6) James, L.A., Singer, M.B. (2008); Development of the lower Sacramento Valley flood-control system: An historical perspective. Natural Hazards Review, 9(3):125-135, doi: 10.1061/(ASCE)1527-6988(2008)9:3(125). pdf
4) Singer, M.B., Dunne, T. (2006); Modeling the influence of river rehabilitation scenarios on bed material sediment flux in a large river over decadal timescales. Water Resources Research, 42(12):W12415, doi: 10.1029/2006WR004894. pdf
3) Singer, M.B., Dunne, T. (2004); An empirical-stochastic, event-based program for simulating inflow from a tributary network: Framework and application to the Sacramento River basin, California. Water Resources Research, 40(7):W07506, doi: 10.1029/2003WR002725. pdf
1) Singer, M.B., Dunne, T.(2001); Identifying eroding and depositional reaches of valley by analysis of suspended-sediment transport in the Sacramento River, California. Water Resources Research, 37(12):3371-3382, doi: 10.1029/2001WR000457. pdf